Bronx Community Charter School (BxC) is seeking a technology teacher to work with both elementary and middle school classes.
BxC is a small learning community founded on the principle that children learn best when they are active participants in their own learning. Our students raise questions about the world around them, engage with a wide range of materials, and learn through their interactions with each other and all of the adults in the school community. Children learn to use their minds well, cultivating strong intellectual habits and skills to become self-directed learners with clear passions and ambitions. Teachers know children deeply and develop powerful curriculum to meet the needs and interests of their students. All members of our school community are committed to making thoughtful choices, advancing democratic values, and effecting change in the broader community.
BxC is located in the Norwood neighborhood of the Bronx and serves children and families from throughout Community School District 10. 85% of students qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% receive special education services, and 17% are classified as English Language Learners.
BxC teachers are deeply committed to collaboration and collective decision-making. Every class is co-taught and nearly all have a special educator and a general educator. Through a two week Summer Institute, weekly grade team and staff meetings, schoolwide committees, and more, BxC staff members’ voices and ideas are fundamental to the success of our school. We have consistently high levels of staff retention. BxC is proud to be one of the few charter schools in NYC with a unionized staff.
- An all-school study of the Bronx River
- Creative work with materials in each classroom
- Strong instruction in dance, drumming, visual art, and technology throughout the grades
- Arts and technology electives for middle schoolers that allow them to pursue their passions
- Weekly all-school meeting with the whole school singing together and performances by classes or small groups of students
- Annual Performing Arts Night with every class performing
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Teaching full classes of elementary school students and smaller classes of middle school students
- Engaging students and building their skills through expert instruction
- Planning units of study that provide a coherent and cohesive experience
- Creating a continuum of developmentally-appropriate teaching across the grades that builds students skills and independence as they grow
- Developing units that help connect students with culture and history
- Preparing students for performances or exhibitions
- Collaborating with colleagues in the arts and in classrooms
Technology curriculum includes:
- Coding and robotics
- Materials-based engineering
- Internet navigation and safety
- Social Media use and safety
- Lots of room for initiative and innovation
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Teaching technology and play-based engineering classes to younger elementary students
- Teaching engaging and skill-building technology classes to upper elementary and middle school students
- Collaborating with colleagues to connect technology instruction to other parts of the BxC curriculum